Sunday, June 29, 2008

As the world turns

Maybe you were as surprised and pleased as I was to see Badger sharing top billing with ex-Chalabi attack-dog Nibras Kazimi on Marc Lynch's recent blog-post about bad behaviour. I don't think it was lost on anyone that this was essentially a cheap attempt to try and boost my name-recognition and readership. Still, in Marc's defense, I should note that he says 98% of his blog-relationships are positive, and since I am considered somewhat hard to get along with, he probably felt this was his only way of reaching out to me to make it a round 99%.

We also have to realize that he is in Washington, where influence is the air you breathe, and he must get very tired indeed dealing with government officials, hangers-on, toadies, professors, and others looking for access and a positive relationship with the aforementioned. As he says: "emotions run high". So it isn't hard to imagine the pleasure he gets from an acquaintance, however superficial, with someone like myself who stands outside of that group, and I guess he succumbed to the temptation to try and lend me a hand, however awkwardly, in my endeavours. Thanks Marc.

__________________

This just in: The most prolific commenter at the coinblog of one of Marc's many Washington friends immediately picked up on the promote-Badger theme, with a note that said in part:
I'll be kinder than Lynch.

Don't read Badger, unless you want the same antiseptic screed every day. You don't even need to click on the site because you know exactly what it will say, no matter what the actual facts prove to be.

Don't go to "Long War Journal." Don't go to "Blackfive." Don't go to a lot of very simplistic agitprop sites, no matter where you believe your preconceptions would best be assuaged.
Badger/Kazimi. Badger/Long War Journal. What do you think? A marketing strategy? In any event, the above-mentioned commenter notes he prefers to read Mark Lynch, because he is "a nimble thinker". Amen to that.

10 Comments:

Blogger Compulsive Reader said...

You're still my favorite. I've tried exposing you to as many people as possible, but, alas, my influence only has a range of like 20 nobodys. Keep up the great work, badger. You are absolutely irreplaceable and essential.

10:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We're not at war with the MB. If we were Lynch would have the same attitude towards them as he does towards a nationalist resistance in Iraq. He can't afford to be labeled anti-american. Lynch is a nationalist by choice. The only nationalism that has any moral weight at all is the nationalism of necessity. As'ad AbuKhalil understands this, probably because he's an Auslander, as I assume you are as well

It takes more than a Ph.D to be an intellectual.

11:31 AM  
Blogger Juan Moment said...

"Keep up the great work, badger. You are absolutely irreplaceable and essential."

I second that.

11:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hell yes, me too!

11:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heh, I'll 'fourth' the notion... SNII did have his hat handed to him several times in the comments, badger, tho it only served to fuel his vitriol to even higher levels!
Keep up the good work!

Aloha!

2:44 PM  
Blogger annie said...

i'll take the fifth!

6:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excuse me?
You'll take the 6th, of course.

9:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I still don't get the quip by SNLII, happened in the midst of him giving off handed evaluations of others in the official "club" when another commenter interrupted (a couple of times) with a referral to ML & your post on the SoI making nice again with the resistance. So he took a swipe at you (out of context)for no reason, unless he sees you as outside the club - or not in the military/diplomatic corps serving in OIF, academia, or a think tank - and therefore hence, not in a position to make serious commentary. Maybe Marc could arrange an honorary degree? Because, of the many, many opinions I curse myself to read, yours are uniquely insightful, and more times than, way ahead of the club.

anna missed

10:02 PM  
Blogger Bruno said...

So you're difficult to get along with? I must have missed that. You seem pretty amiable to me. :)

1:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Badger


"Unlike many carnivores that stalk their prey in open country, badgers catch most of their food by digging"




"Badgers are fierce animals and will protect themselves and their young at all costs. Badgers are capable of fighting off much larger animals such as wolves, coyotes and bears. Badgers can run or gallop at up to 25-30 km per hour for short periods of time."

7:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home